Are you suffering while chewing, swallowing food or saliva? Do you often feel thirsty at night? Are tooth decay or bad breathe major problems for you?
If yes, you might be suffering from dry mouth. These are symptoms that you have been suffering from dry mouth problem.
It occurs when your body does not make enough saliva to keep your mouth moist. Dry mouth may be caused due to medications, certain diseases and conditions, poor lifestyle, cancer therapy or chewing tobacco.
When you did not take care in curing dry mouth, it may lead to serious dental problems such as mouth infections and cavities infections.
Here are some tips to control dry mouth symptoms:
If you notice that the dry mouth is caused due to medication you are taking, consult your doctor first. Take suggestions from him and tackle your problem with care.
- Consume plenty of water as it helps to keep your mouth moist.
- Take sugar-free candies and chew sugarless gum in order to stimulate your salivary glands.
- Breathe through your nose, and not through your mouth.
- Use a room vaporizer to add moisture to the bedroom air.
- Brush your teeth at least 2-3 times a day.
- Avoid spicy foods and sugary items.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol as these increases your symptoms.
- Do not take tobacco products.
- Avoid over-the-counter antihistamines and decongestants as these can make a dry mouth worse.
- Use a moisturizer on your lips to minimize irritation.
- Use a humidifier to enhance the humidity in your home, especially at night.
Moisten all dry foods with broth, sauces, milk or melted butter. Since your salivary glands aren’t producing enough saliva, this will make it easier to chew and swallow.